Kansas State University Libraries invite applications and nominations for the position of Director, Center for Digital Scholarship and Publishing. To support the university’s goal of becoming a top 50 public research university, the incumbent will have the opportunity to build on current successes in the areas of publishing and scholarly communications and lead the newly formed center to a dynamic and transformative role in the scholarly landscape at K-State and beyond. This key leadership role will be involved in shaping initiatives that maximize the creation, dissemination, preservation and impact of digital scholarship produced at the university. This includes oversight of New Prairie Press (the Libraries’ open access publishing imprint) and K-State Research Exchange (K-REx), the institutional repository; advocacy for open access initiatives; copyright consultation services; and data services. The director will hold administrative responsibilities and participate in the center’s daily operations. This full-time 12-month tenure-track faculty position reports to the Assistant Dean for Content Management and Scholarly Communications and is expected to demonstrate progress in establishing a professional record of scholarly/creative accomplishment and professional service to meet promotion and tenure criteria.
• Provide innovative and collaborative leadership for the strategic planning and development of the center; manage daily operations including human, financial, and other resources.
• Provide awareness, advocacy and education for internal/external groups about scholarly communication issues (i.e., open access, author rights, copyright, fair use, data management, library publishing).
• Engage with the campus community to determine digital scholarship research needs and implement tools and technologies that support those needs (e.g., ORCID, VIVO, Symplectic Elements).
• Coordinate the Center’s provision of data management services, identify emerging needs, and explore new technologies such as geospatial applications and data publishing.
• Develop strategies for promoting growth and sustainability of K-REx and the New Prairie Press.
• Collaborate and work closely with other library departments, as well as external clients to develop innovative digital scholarship programs and initiatives.
• Directly supervise and mentor 3-5 FTE including faculty and professional staff.
• Utilize knowledge of new and emerging technologies in the area of digital scholarship, as well as relevant standards and best practices to further enhance the Libraries' role in digital scholarship.
• Develop strategies to address a growing need for management of digital data generated in the humanities.
• Participate on the Libraries’ leadership council; attend university department head functions.
• Master’s Degree from an ALA accredited program.
• Demonstrated knowledge of current issues in scholarly communication, data management, library publishing trends and practices, and emerging directions in digital scholarship.
• Experience consulting with faculty, students or researchers on copyright/fair use, digital publishing needs, or data management.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with diverse clientele (internal and external) to build professional relationships using excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated successful personnel supervision, and/or evidence of strong team management skills.
• Working knowledge of repository/publishing platforms (e.g., DSpace, Fedora, Digital Commons, OJS).
• Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated successful project management experience.
• Strong public speaking skills with the ability to articulate the value of digital scholarship services in a teaching and research environment.
• Experience with defining and implementing data strategies in academic libraries.
• Experience working with Digital Commons and DSpace.
• Juris Doctor.
The Libraries aim to attract exceptional talent, and we offer a competitive base salary plus administrative pay in recognition of responsibilities and experience.
Combine the following documents into a single PDF file and send to email@example.com, attention Michelle Bowen. Please include DIGSCHOL2014 in the subject line:
1. A letter of application. To greatly strengthen your application, please apply your communication skills to clearly address the position responsibilities and qualifications listed above, and demonstrate how your work style, vision, and other distinctive qualities would enhance our organization.
2. A curriculum vitae.
3. Names and contact information for three references.
Application deadline August 29, 2014.
Kansas State University is an EOE of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Background check required. Kansas State University actively seeks diversity among its employees.