Kansas State University Libraries are an ambitious organization that aims to be an innovator in library services. Our people are the most important asset in the pursuit of achieving our goals. Therefore, we actively recruit talented individuals with diverse skill sets, backgrounds, and ways of thinking. We seek strong communicators who relish productive collaborations with friendly colleagues. As our organization strongly believes in innovation, we especially value creative problem-solvers who thrive in an environment of change and have the ability to inspire others. We are seeking technology savvy individuals with a demonstrated ability to adapt to and learn relevant technologies. The Libraries have a vision to grow, and we are very supportive of our staff’s professional development. In addition to five specialized branch libraries, Hale Library, the main library, is a splendid building located in the center of the university’s picturesque campus, with a spacious interior that creates a comfortable and relaxing work environment. If you are someone who would like to be an active part of a library’s exciting growth, please consider applying for the following position.
Kansas State University Libraries invite applications and nominations for the position of Undergraduate Experience Librarian. The person in this position will collaborate with colleagues in the Libraries’ Undergraduate & Community Services department and academic and student affairs programs to support K-State’s 2025 Visionary Plan goal. The Undergraduate Experience librarian will apply creativity and strategic planning to provide learning, engagement, and outreach opportunities designed to help K-State students acclimate and thrive, particularly first-year, transfer, and international students. Throughout all endeavors, this position will promote diversity. The librarian in this position will directly interact with students in a variety of venues that may include the classroom, living/learning communities, tutoring centers, Open House, New Student Orientation, and Week of Welcome. While the librarian in this position will work independently on many projects, they will also find that their goals overlap with colleagues within the department and throughout the Libraries, such as the Communications & Marketing department, providing opportunities to work in teams.
This is a full-time tenure track position, and the candidate should have a commitment to scholarly/creative activities and professional service necessary for pursuing tenure at Kansas State University Libraries. This position reports to the Head, Undergraduate and Community Services.
• Develop and implement learning opportunities and services in collaboration with the university’s first year experience program, K-State First
• Collaborate with colleagues to coordinate learning outcomes and library instruction for large, general education courses, such as Public Speaking, Expository Writing, University Experience, and the English Language Program
• Promote first-year and transfer student success and retention through collaboration with campus academic and student services programs and offices
• Participate in assessment to support continuous improvement of student learning and engagement
• Collaborate with colleagues to provide excellent reference, research, and student learning activities
• ALA-accredited MLS or equivalent from outside the U.S.
• Demonstrated experience teaching information literacy infused classes
• Demonstrated record of success working within or providing services for diverse groups
• Demonstrated understanding of the theories and practices related to higher education and first-year students, diversity, or retention
• Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills with a strong user-centered service orientation
• Demonstrated success developing services for first-year or at-risk students in higher education
• Demonstrated success collaborating with academic faculty, academic affairs, or student affairs programs, offices or organizations
• Experience providing user-centered reference service, online or in-person
• Demonstrated ability to lead complex projects • Experience assessing student learning
Affectionately nicknamed, “The Little Apple,” Manhattan is an up-and-coming community located in the charming Flint Hills region of Kansas, which consists of continuous rolling hills covered in tall grasses. It was named "One of the Best Places to Live / Top 25 Best Commuting Times" by Money Magazine and one of the "50 Best Places to Live" by Men's Journal. Forbes Magazine rated Manhattan #1 for "Best Small Communities for a Business and Career." Manhattan is one of the true classic college towns in the country. It is a great place to enjoy Big XII sports, wonderful restaurants, superb outdoor recreation, and ever-growing shopping choices. Manhattan, with a highly regarded public school system, is widely considered to be a fantastic place to raise a family. Manhattan High School is rated in top 5% of high schools in the U.S. by Newsweek magazine. Overall, Manhattan has big city advantages, while still being a 15 minute town. It is situated just off Interstate 70, less than two hours west of Kansas City. The regional airport offers multiple daily direct flights to Dallas and Chicago. While the main campus is located in Manhattan, Kansas State also has campuses located in Salina and Olathe.
Salary: The Libraries aim to attract outstanding talents, and we offer competitive salary in recognition of responsibilities and experience.
To apply please send:
• A letter of application. To greatly strengthen your application, please apply your communication skills to clearly address the position responsibilities and qualifications listed above, and demonstrate how your work style, vision, and other distinctive qualities would enhance our organization.
• A curriculum vitae, and
• Names and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org, attention Michelle Bowen. Please include Undergrad_Exp_Libn in the subject line. Deadline for applying is March 14, 2014.
Kansas State University actively seeks diversity among its employees and is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Background check required.