At Kansas State University Libraries, we are an ambitious organization that aims to be an innovator in library services. Our people are the most important asset in the pursuit of achieving our goals. Therefore, we actively recruit talented individuals with diverse skill sets, backgrounds, and ways of thinking. We seek strong communicators who relish productive collaborations with friendly colleagues. As our organization strongly believes in innovation, we especially value creative problem-solvers who thrive in an environment of change and have the ability to inspire others. The Libraries have a vision to grow, and we are very supportive of our staff’s professional development. In addition to five specialized branch libraries, Hale Library, the main library, is a splendid building located in the center of the university’s picturesque campus, with a spacious interior that creates a comfortable and relaxing work environment. If this sounds like a place that suits your personality and work style, and if you are someone who would like to be an active part of a library’s exciting growth, please consider applying for the following position.
Kansas State University Libraries invite applications and nominations for the position of Instructional Designer. To support the University’s goal of becoming a top-50 public research university by 2025, this new position will collaboratively develop learning and engagement opportunities to support undergraduate student success and retention; promote diversity and access in higher education; and contribute to the libraries’ reference, instruction, outreach, and undergraduate research programs.
- Collaborate with colleagues at K-State and Kansas Regents institutions to develop a suite of research modules as part of a consortium.
- Design, implement, and assess patron-centered learning objects.
- Provide a variety of patron-centered reference and learning services/resources that may include: leading tours, teaching classes, maintaining learning tools, and providing reference in-person or via chat. Participate in orientation and outreach activities.
- Develop and maintain expertise in instructional design and technology that is appropriate for the need of K-State’s users.
- Accredited graduate degree in at least one of the following fields:
- MLS from an ALA-accredited program
- M.S. Educational Technology
- M.S. Instructional Design and Technology
- Demonstrated understanding of learning theories
- Demonstrated skill with at least two of the three following online environments:
- Lesson building software (e.g. SoftChalk, Adobe Captivate, Articulate)
- Content management systems (e.g. Drupal, WordPress, LibGuides)
- Learning management systems (e.g. Blackboard, Angel, Canvas)
- Ability and willingness to work with diverse groups both on the staff and within the patron community
- Demonstrated ability to take the lead on and responsibility for projects
- Experience coding in PHP, jQuery, MySQL, Ruby on Rails or other relevant programming language
- Knowledge of information literacy competencies and standards
- Instruction experience
- Academic library experience
- Experience with or coursework in web design principles or assessing User Experience (UX)
Affectionately nicknamed “The Little Apple,” Manhattan is an up-and-coming community located in the charming Flint Hills region of Kansas, which consists of continuous rolling hills covered in tall grasses. It was named "One of the Best Places to Live / Top 25 Best Commuting Times" by Money Magazine and one of the "50 Best Places to Live" by Men's Journal. Forbes Magazine rated Manhattan #1 for "Best Small Communities for a Business and Career." Manhattan is one of the true classic college towns in the country. It is a great place to enjoy Big XII sports, wonderful restaurants, superb outdoor recreation, and ever-growing shopping choices. Manhattan, with a highly regarded public school system, is widely considered to be a fantastic place to raise a family. Manhattan High School is rated in top 5% of high schools in the U.S. by Newsweek magazine. Overall, Manhattan has big city advantages, while still being a 15 minute town. It is situated just off Interstate 70, less than two hours west of Kansas City. The regional airport offers multiple daily direct flights to Dallas and Chicago. While the main campus is located in Manhattan, Kansas State also has campuses located in Salina and Olathe.
Salary: The Libraries aim to attract outstanding talents, and we offer competitive salary in recognition of responsibilities and experience.
1. A letter of application.
- To greatly strengthen your application, please apply your communication skills to clearly address the position responsibilities and qualifications listed above, and demonstrate how your work style, vision, and other distinctive qualities would enhance our organization.
2. A curriculum vitae
3. Names and contact information for three references to email@example.com, attention Kim Piper. Please include INST_DESIGNER in the subject line. Deadline for applying is February 12, 2014.
Kansas State University actively seeks diversity among its employees and is an affirmativeaction/equal opportunity employer. Background check required.