At Kansas State University Libraries, we are an ambitious organization that aims to be an innovator in library services. Our people are the most important asset in the pursuit of achieving our goals. Therefore, we actively recruit talented individuals with diverse skill sets, backgrounds, and ways of thinking. We seek strong communicators who relish productive collaborations with friendly colleagues. As our organization strongly believes in innovation, we especially value creative problem-solvers who thrive in an environment of change and have the ability to inspire others. The Libraries have a vision to grow, and we are very supportive of our staff’s professional development. In addition to five specialized branch libraries, Hale Library, the main library, is a splendid building located in the center of the university’s picturesque campus, with a spacious interior that creates a comfortable and relaxing work environment. If this sounds like a place that suits your personality and work style, and if you are someone who would like to be an active part of a library’s exciting growth, please consider applying for the following position.
Kansas State University Libraries invite applications and nominations for the position of Metadata Librarian. To support the University’s goal of becoming a top-50 public research university by 2025, this new position will provide leadership and coordination of non-MARC metadata in support of our expanding digital collections. The libraries are transitioning from a digital project environment to a systematic digital program. The successful candidate will partner with Scholarly Communications and Publishing, Special Collections, and other library departments to enhance discovery and access. We are seeking an experienced metadata librarian who is a technologically capable individual with a demonstrated ability to adapt to and learn relevant technologies.
This is a full-time tenure track position, and the candidate must have a commitment to scholarly/creative activities and professional service necessary for pursuing tenure at Kansas State University Libraries. This position reports to the Head, Metadata & Preservation Department.
• Create high quality descriptive, technical, and administrative metadata following best practices for our growing digital collections and program, including metadata work in support of the institutional repository
• Create effective metadata documentation (esp. data dictionaries, training materials)
• Apply database maintenance and authority control principles and practices to non-MARC metadata
• Develop, implement, and refine metadata workflows for digital program and training
• Collaborate on metadata issues with others both internal and external to the libraries
• Engage and keep abreast of the current metadata issues and trends
• Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited program
• Minimum 2 years’ experience providing metadata services and resource description
• Experience applying metadata standards and schema (e.g., Dublin Core, EAD, VRA Core, METS, MODS, PREMIS, RDF, etc.)
• Knowledge of tools to transform and crosswalk metadata including XML and XSLT
• Demonstrated ability to plan, coordinate, and lead projects
• Minimum 1 year post-MLS professional metadata or cataloging experience
• Experience creating metadata within a digital collection management system, especially DSpace
• Knowledge of the principles of cataloging, subject analysis, classification, and authority control with the ability to apply those principles using the appropriate standards including but not limited to AACR2, RDA, LCSH, LCPS, LCC, and MARC
• Experience with various types of file formats and software (e.g., Adobe CS)
• Experience with OCLC Connexion and an integrated library system (Voyager preferred)
Affectionately nicknamed “The Little Apple,” Manhattan is an up-and-coming community located in the charming Flint Hills region of Kansas, which consists of continuous rolling hills covered in tall grasses. It was named "One of the Best Places to Live / Top 25 Best Commuting Times" by Money Magazine and one of the "50 Best Places to Live" by Men's Journal. Forbes Magazine rated Manhattan #1 for "Best Small Communities for a Business and Career." Manhattan is one of the true classic college towns in the country. It is a great place to enjoy Big XII sports, wonderful restaurants, superb outdoor recreation, and ever-growing shopping choices. Manhattan, with a highly regarded public school system, is widely considered to be a fantastic place to raise a family. Manhattan High School is rated in the top 5% of high schools in the U.S. by Newsweek magazine. Overall, Manhattan has big city advantages, while still being a 15 minute town. It is situated just off Interstate 70, less than two hours west of Kansas City. The regional airport offers multiple daily direct flights to Dallas and Chicago. While the main campus is located in Manhattan, Kansas State also has campuses located in Salina and Olathe.
Salary: The Libraries aim to attract outstanding talents, and we offer competitive salary in recognition of responsibilities and experience.
• A letter of application. To greatly strengthen your application, please apply your communication skills to clearly address the position responsibilities and qualifications listed above, and demonstrate how your work style, vision, and other distinctive qualities would enhance our organization.
• A curriculum vitae
• Names and contact information for three references to [email protected], attention Michelle Bowen. Please include MDLIBN in the subject line. Deadline for applying is August 23, 2013.
Kansas State University actively seeks diversity among its employees and is an affirmative
action/equal opportunity employer. Background check required.