Kansas State University Libraries, Manhattan, Kansas invite applications and nominations for the position of Systems Administrator to join our Administrative & IT Services Department. Work will center on developing technical infrastructure on Linux/Solaris platform to support projects related to repository development, Web services, Scholarly publishing and content management systems. To support the University’s goal of becoming a top-50 public research university by 2025, we are looking for a dynamic individual to offer exceptional customer service to library staff and patrons and advance with us to the next level.
Kansas State University Libraries are an ambitious organization that aims to be an innovator in library services. Our people are the most important asset in the pursuit of achieving our goals. Therefore, we actively recruit talented individuals with diverse skill sets, backgrounds, and ways of thinking. We seek strong communicators who relish productive collaborations with friendly colleagues. As our organization strongly believes in innovation, we especially value creative problem-solvers who thrive in an environment of change and have the ability to inspire others, and that have a strong interest in emerging technologies. The Libraries have a vision to grow, and we are very supportive of our staff’s professional development. In addition to five specialized branch libraries, Hale Library, the main library, is a splendid building located in the center of the university’s picturesque campus, with a spacious interior that creates a comfortable and relaxing work environment. If this sounds like a place that suits your personality and work style, and if you are someone who would like to be an active part of a library’s exciting growth, please consider applying for the following position.
• Maintain the hardware and software infrastructure in our Linux/Solaris environment including support of Web servers, application servers, versioning platform, etc. Install and configure server operating systems and related layered software, ensuring data, security standards, and procedures are maintained. • Perform shell scripting and programming in appropriate languages.
• Liaison with campus IT units to manage SAN storage/tape environment, system backups, and security policies. Play an active role in the development and deployment of new services and technologies.
• Work collaboratively with other members in the library, external open source community, and vendor support staff in a team-based approach.
• Consult with application developers to diagnose and troubleshoot system problems and recommend hardware/software purchases.
• Work in a team to manage system administration, web/application server administration and database server administration, maintaining up-to-date system documentation and managing code in a version-control system.
• Associate degree in Computer Science & Information Technology or related field PLUS minimum of two years of fulltime development and server administration experience in a Linux/Solaris environment OR, if no associate degree in Computer Science & Information Technology or related field, four years of full time development and server administration experience.
• Demonstrated experience administering Web servers, including Apache and Tomcat, and database servers, including MySQL.
• Demonstrated experience implementing and supporting open source applications.
• Working knowledge of a programming or scripting language, such as Perl or PHP.
• Demonstrated experience in server virtualization.
• Strong customer service attitude; enthusiasm for working in a collaborative team-oriented environment.
• BS degree in Computer Science or a related field.
• Experience working with library applications such as Voyager, DSpace, Drupal, etc.
• Familiarity with long term storage systems for archiving purposes.
• Experience working with authorization/authentication mechanisms such as LDAP, CAS, Shibboleth.
• Experience supporting a versioning system
Affectionately nicknamed, “The Little Apple”, Manhattan, Kansas is an up-and-coming community located in the charming Flint Hills region of Kansas, which consists of continuous rolling hills covered in tall grasses. It was named "One of the Best Places to Live / Top 25 Best Commuting Times" by Money Magazine and one of the "50 Best Places to Live" by Men's Journal. Forbes Magazine rated Manhattan #1 for "Best Small Communities for a Business and Career." Manhattan is one of the true classic college towns in the country. It is a great place to enjoy Big XII sports, wonderful restaurants, superb outdoor recreation, and ever-growing shopping choices. Manhattan, with a highly regarded public school system, is widely considered to be a fantastic place to raise a family. Manhattan High School is rated in top 5% of high schools in the U.S. by Newsweek magazine. Overall, Manhattan has big city advantages, while still being a 15 minute town. It is situated just off Interstate 70, less than two hours west of Kansas City. The regional airport offers multiple daily direct flights to Dallas and Chicago. While the main campus is located in Manhattan, Kansas State also has campuses located in Salina and Olathe.
The Libraries aim to attract outstanding talents, and we offer competitive salary in recognition of responsibilities and experience. Information about our benefits package can be found on the K-State Benefits summary: http://www.k-state.edu/hr/benefits/benefitssummary.htm
1. A letter of application. To greatly strengthen your application, please apply your communication skills to clearly address the position responsibilities and qualifications listed above, and demonstrate how your work style, vision, and other distinctive qualities would enhance our organization.
2. A curriculum vitae
3. Names and contact information for three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org, attention Kim Piper. Please include SYSTEM ADMIN in the subject line. Deadline for applying is March 15, 2013.
Kansas State University actively seeks diversity among its employees and is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Background check required.